Special Projects

Poll: The overwhelming majority of Temple University students support abortion

Roughly 200 students were polled on their support for abortion and how the procedure should be funded.

Ninety percent of Temple University students support abortion under all circumstances. In comparison, 7 percent are semi-supportive, meaning they believe the procedure should only be performed in instances of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother is at risk while three percent of students are not supportive at all, meaning they believe abortions should be completely outlawed. 

“I believe every individual has access to their own body, and is able to do whatever they please to do,” an anonymous student told The Temple News.

The Temple News surveyed roughly 200 students about their views on abortion rights and access.

On June 24, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to overturn Roe v. Wade, a landmark 1973 case that guaranteed access to abortion for all women in the United States. The ruling was paired with a 6-3 vote in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization that ruled the Constitution does not confer the right to an abortion. 

For many Americans, this meant the loss of what they believe is a human right and a form of health care. 

On Nov. 8, Pennsylvania voters will cast their ballots to elect the next governor who may determine the future of reproductive care in the state. 

Democratic nominee and Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro and Republican state senator Doug Mastriano have opposing views regarding abortion access. Mastriano opposes abortion in all cases, whereas Shapiro wants to preserve existing state law that guarantees abortion up to 24 weeks and applies to medical emergencies.

Marcie Grayson, a senior mathematics and computer science major, believes the upcoming gubernatorial election will be crucial for the future of reproductive care in the state.  

“I know it will affect students, how exactly that affects them will differ across a spectrum,” Grayson said. 

Students were incredibly split on when the life of a child begins. Forty-six percent of respondents believe life begins at birth, followed closely behind by 42 percent of students who feel life begins somewhere in between conception and birth. Twelve percent of student respondents believe life begins at conception.  

“There is life in the womb but only in association to the mother. Independent life begins at birth.” an anonymous student told The Temple News. 

Most Temple University students believe that abortions should be fully funded by the government, but the divide among funding isn’t as stark as students’ overall views on abortion.

Fifty-six percent of students support full government funding for abortion regardless of circumstance, financial situation and insurance status to anyone who may want or need one.   

“I think that all abortions should be fully covered by insurance so whether you have private or public insurance it should be covered fully,” an anonymous student told The Temple News.

Thirty-five percent of respondents feel that abortion should be partially funded, with insurance providers partially covering costs and patients required to pay the rest. 

Only 9 percent of respondents feel that no government funding should be provided, meaning the patients should pay abortions in full, regardless of circumstances.  

The Hyde Amendment, passed by Congress in 1976, prohibits Medicaid from covering abortion. The law was expanded in 1994 to include exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother. 

With abortion likely to be a key issue that motivates voters to turn out in this fall’s election, Temple students could play a key role in determining what future access looks like throughout the state.